How my 80 - 20 Fitting helps you play better golf
Pareto's Principle - The 80-20 Rule
Although I can do 80% of your fitting in about 30 minutes and improve the way you hit the ball, it is the other 20% of the fitting that makes such a dramatic improvement in your golf game, your score and your overall genuine enjoyment of playing the game of golf. Ironically it is the other 20% of the fitting that takes 80% of the time needed for you to get fitted in a way that dramatically improves how you hit golf shots. When you hit dramatically better golf shots consistently you will not only play better and score better but you will enjoy it a lot more too.
Don’t get me wrong, that 20% fitting you can get in 30 minutes is probably better than 80% of the golfers playing the game have today get. I can help you in 30 minutes by watching you hit balls. I can even help you by having you fill in a form and asking you key questions about your ball striking, overall game and existing set of clubs. ...but it is not the ultimate or best fitting you can get. Allow me to explain, please read on.
80% my fitting diagnosis is done while the golfer hits warm up shots simply from watching him swing, and before I start recording his data. I’ve been a golf pro for over 40 years and by knowing swing mechanics I can see things in the swing that will point me in the general direction of where the golfer needs to be. After watching him warm up I use the FlightScope to analyze the details and test my prescription for his best club match.
By observing the swing I can get a reasonable approximation of the following.
Things I can see...
- Is he upright of flat?
- Is he slow and smooth or quick and jerky?
- Ball position
- Swing Path
- *Angle of attack
- *Shot direction
- *Shot shape
- face angle can be deduced by * above if you understand D plane and ball flight laws
- depth of divot if you are on grass
- angle of divot if you are on grass
Things I can hear...
- solid contact in center of the face
- off center hits
From all of this I have a pretty good idea of a range for...
- how far he hits the ball (not precise)
- launch angle
- swing speed
- ball speed
which will give me a reasonable guess at a range for
From these deductions I will assemble a club, using connectors and my heads and shafts, that fits his profile and test him with it. After each test I will make adjustments by changing the head, the shaft, and the weight until I get him in the best match up for his game. In the end the golfer will achieve...
The Benefits of Custom Fitting .
- More Consistency
- More Accuracy
- Longer Tee Shots
- Longer Iron Shots
- More Fairways Hit
- More Greens Hit in Regulation, and
- Closer to the pin.
- Shorter approach putts
- More putts at birdie
Which results in...
- More 1 putts
- Fewer 3 putts
- Lower Scores
- More enjoyment playing the game
If you are familiar with Pareto's Principle - a/k/a The 80-20 Rule... you will no doubt realize that almost anyone can do the first 80% and call that a fitting.
But that 80% of the fitting only corrects 20% of the golfers problems with his clubs. It's the other 20% of the fitting that makes 80% of the improvements the golfer will get from properly fitted clubs.
Pareto's Principle - The 80-20 Rule
Be sure your fitting isn't an 80% fitting with only 20% of the benefits to your game.
The next time someone tells you they can fit you in 30 minutes they are not lying to you, they are being honest because they think they can. The thing that may cost your game isn’t what they think they know about fitting, or even what they don’t know about fitting. The thing that will cost your game is what they don’t know that they don’t know about fitting because that is what they will never admit because they have no idea they don’t know.
You might say its like having a General Practice Physician tell you he can perform heart surgery. Well, he probably can but do you want him to? Or would you go to a heart surgeon?
Buying a complete set of custom fitted golf clubs is expensive. Do your due diligence and ask around, read a few good books (I recommend Tom Wishon’s “The Search for the Perfect Golf Club”) and when you know what a goof fitting is give your potential fitter a call, send him and email or drop by and talk to him. If you read Tom Wishon’s book he recommends a series of question you can ask your fitter to let you know just how high up on the the knowledge, experience and skill tree he belongs.